BEFORE YOU START A FAMILY
A Guide for Men
What is a Traditional Family?
A traditional family is the Nuclear type of family structure. This family type consists of two parents: a father, a mother and a child or children. The nuclear family is considered to be the best family type in Australia and in many other societies in the world. It is seen as being the ideal family type in which to raise a child or children. This traditional family is also known as the elementary family or conjugal family and it is a family group consisting of two parents and their child/children. The traditional family type is obviously different from a single-parent family, the larger extended family, same-sex parents or a family with more than two parents. A couple who does not have a child is not considered a family even if the couple is officially married. To qualify as a family a couple must have at least one child in their care and living in the same household.
What is the legal age to start a family in Australia?
In Australia, most young people stay with their parents until they are at least 18 years old and the parents will remain the children’s legal guardians until then. At 18 years old, the young person can vote, buy a house, rent a property, or even get married without restriction in most states.
What are your responsibilities before starting a family?
Make sure you are ready
Be at least 18 years old
By age 18, teenage boys have physically matured. Puberty is over and they have usually reached their full height. Boys may continue to grow a little more facial hair and their voices may still change a bit more, but otherwise, they’re living in adult bodies. By age 18, teens exhibit a lot of adult-like thinking (even though their brains are yet done developing). They can think abstractly, and they are often future-oriented. They’re able to understand, plan, and pursue long-range goals.
Be physically, mentally, emotionally and psychologically ready
Very few young men are ready to become fathers at the age of 18. Many of them become fathers by accident through unprotected sex etc. You will need to do a deep soul searching before you decide to be a father; either for the first time or again with another child.
Be financially stable
You need to have at least one of the following financial sources:
- Stable job with reliable income
- Profitable business
- Profitable investment
Be able to have a child biologically
How can a man tell if he is fertile? A trained expert checks your sperm count, shape, movement, and other characteristics. In general, if you have a higher number of normal-shaped sperm, it means you have higher fertility. But there are plenty of exceptions to this. A lot of guys with low sperm counts or abnormal semen are still fertile.
Being in a relationship has its benefits and challenges. The following are some of them:
Benefits of being in a relationship:
- Sense of belonging as a couple and ownership of the relationship.
- Sense of accomplishment.
- Teamwork as a couple.
- Enjoy her company, sex, mental and physical stimulation.
- You get to learn more about the difference between being single and being in a relationship.
Challenges of being in a relationship:
- Requires more money to look after a woman.
- Your goals and her goals may not match up.
- She might get too content in the relationship and ignore her health and physical appearance.
- Intimacy may vanish.
- The fire will need to be reignited from time to time.
- Ineffective arguments will arise.
Even if you consider yourself a healthy and good partner there is always room for improvement! No one is perfect and you can either find yourself in an unhealthy relationship or do unhealthy things yourself. You don’t have to wait until you are in a relationship to then focus on learning to be a better partner. The foundation of a healthy relationship starts with educating yourself on relationships.
Benefits of being a father and a parent:
Being a parent has its benefits and challenges. The following are some of them:
Benefits to the father and the mother:
- Sense of belonging and ownership of the family.
- Sense of accomplishment for establishing a family.
- Teamwork as a family.
- Enjoy family members’ company, mental and physical stimulation.
- You get to learn more about fatherhood and parenting
Benefits to the child/children:
- Having an involved dad benefits the children. Children who have active fathers learn better, have higher self-esteem, and are less prone to depression than those who don’t.
- Dads who are involved, nurturing, and playful with their young children gives children higher IQs and better language and thinking skills, compared to children with less-involved dads.
- A father’s involvement also is associated with fewer behaviours problems at school and more career success.
Challenges of being a father and a parent:
- Requires more money to look after the household.
- Requires more time to spend with the child, the mother and as a family.
- Possibility of being taken for granted or lack of appreciation or gratitude for the father.
- The mother of the child can be unhelpful and unreasonable.
Even if you consider yourself a good partner there is always room for improvement! No one is perfect and you can either find yourself in an unhealthy relationship without knowing or do unhealthy things yourself. You don’t have to wait until you are in a relationship to then focus on learning to be a better partner and relationships in general. The foundation of a healthy relationship starts with educating yourself on relationships.
Choose the right partner to be the mother of your child. She should be:
- At least 18 years old.
- Be physically, mentally, emotionally and psychologically ready to become a mother.
- Able to conceive and have a baby biologically.
- Financially stable.
- Educates herself on relationships.
- Educates herself on parenting.
Many men are easily attracted by females because of their physical beauty or sex appeal. This however does not mean the female you are attracted to is the right person to start a long-term relationship with and eventually have a child with. Take your time to get to know her before making the long term commitment. Life is not worth living unsatisfied, don’t waste time with the wrong female partner. Time is precious. This goes without mentioning the unnecessary pain of breakup, separation or divorce. Choose the right partner to share your life with and the one who deserves to be the mother of your child.