Victoria, Australia: COVID-19 Restrictions from 02/07/2020

Aussie communities Australia

From June 1st, the rules in Victoria will follow part 2 of the 3-step plan.

Here are the answers to the questions many have:

What are the newly imposed restrictions? Why are they needed?

Due to an increase in COVID-19 cases again in several areas in Victoria. From 11.59 pm on Wednesday 1 July, there are changes in restrictions to respond to the increase in case numbers and to help reduce the risk of further transmission.

The Victorian premier, Daniel Andrews, announced on 30 June that parts of Melbourne are going to move back to Level 3 Restrictions, following a massive surge in coronavirus cases.

If you live in the following suburbs, these new restrictions apply to you:

  • Postcode 3012: Brooklyn, Kingville, Maidstone, Tottenham, West Footscray.
  • Postcode 3021: Alban Vale, Kealba, Kings Park, St Albans.
  • Postcode 3032: Ascot Vale, High Point City, Maribyrnong, Travancore.
  • Postcode 3038: Keilor Downs, Keilor Lodge, Taylors Lakes, Watergardens.
  • Postcode 3042: Airport West, Keilor Park, Niddrie.
  • Postcode 3046: Glenroy, Hadfield, Oak Park.
  • Postcode 3047: Broadmeadows, Dallas, Jacana.
  • Postcode 3055: Brunswick South, Brunswick West, Moonee Vale, Moreland West.
  • Postcode 3060: Fawkner.
  • Postcode 3064: Craigieburn, Donnybrook, Mickleham, Roxburgh Park and Kalkallo.

If you live in these areas, you are going to be in lockdown until July 29.

There are only four reasons you can leave your house: for work or school, for care or caregiving, for daily exercise, and for food and other essentials. You cannot leave your postcode except for work. Likewise, you can only travel into these areas for work you have to do in person or to provide or receive care.

Schools in these postcodes remain open at this stage, but Victoria is currently at the start of the school holidays so we don’t know if this will change by the time they return to the classroom.

This also means that businesses and facilities in these postcodes that have been able to reopen, such as beauty parlors, gym, libraries, and swimming pools – are going to have to close again. Cafes and restaurants will only be allowed to open for takeaway and delivery.

Andrews said police will be patrolling through communities, giving out on-the-spot fines to those outside of their home for anything other than the four permitted reasons.

Andrews also said he has asked the Prime Minister to divert international flights to other cities for the next two weeks.

If you don’t live in any of the above-listed suburbs, normal previous roadmap rules can be followed.

Can I visit my friends or family?

The number of visitors that you can have to your home has reduced to five visitors. The Victorian health department says you can have more than one set of visitors over per day, but that you should “be considered and use common sense”. You are allowed to have people stay over at your home.

Can I have a party?

Up to 10 people can gather outside for recreational purposes, or to engage in activities like hiking, jogging and other non-contact sport.

Can I go to a restaurant or café?

Cafés and restaurants will be allowed to seat a maximum of 20 people in any one space until 12 July. Businesses will need to ensure each customer has at least four-square-meters.

Can I start bringing my reusable coffee cup to the café again?

A new contact-free initiative from Responsible Cafés could see many coffee shops allowing personal reusable takeaway cups allowed back in, however, this is up to individual cafés.

Can I work outdoors?

Gyms, yoga studios, and fitness classes, and indoor personal training are prohibited. Up to 20 people can gather outside for activities like hiking, jogging, bike riding, canoeing, kayaking, and other non-contact sports. Outdoor boot camps of up to 20 people plus the trainer are also allowed.

Can I go for a swim?

Swimming pools will be allowed to reopen, but they could be capped to a
maximum of 20 swimmers at any one time.

Can I go to the library?

Libraries may open with restrictions:

  • Capacity must not exceed 20 people or one person per 4 square meters including staff members, whichever is lesser.
  • Each library must have a COVID-19 Safety Plan.

Can I let the kids loose on the playground?

Public playgrounds will be open again. Physical distancing and hygiene should be practised with the little ones.

Can I go shopping?

Victorians can shop and many retail stores are now open. Victorians are encouraged to shop locally, avoid large indoor crowds, and support businesses in their area. This is under the provision that they follow the 4-meter rule.

Can I go back to the office?

Each business owner can make decisions about what makes the most sense
for their situation. Employers must allow employees to work from home where
it is reasonably practical to do so.

Can I leave Melbourne?

There are no restrictions on how far you can travel within the state. You are allowed to stay in a holiday home or private residence, and tourist accommodation, including caravan parks and camping grounds, where there are no shared communal facilities. There are no restrictions on leaving or entering Victoria. Since 1 June, overnight stays at tourist accommodation, caravan parks and camping grounds without communal facilities, have been permitted. All overseas travel, with very few exceptions, has been banned and is not likely to resume until next year.

Can I get a haircut or visit my beauty therapist?

Hairdressers and barbers are allowed to be open, but they are required to take your name and contact details. Beauty therapy stores are now open. Up to 20 customers are allowed on one premise, subject to the four square meter rule. Providers will still need to log customers’ contact details.

When am I allowed to leave my house?

You can go out to shop, to work or study (if this cannot be done from home), for fresh air and exercise (with a maximum of 80 people and 300 from 19th June), and for recreational purposes and socializing as long as you are observing social distancing. You are only supposed to shop for necessary goods and services.

Can I get tested if I haven’t been overseas?

Victoria Health has announced that anyone with the slightest flu-like symptoms should get tested. If you work with vulnerable people, for example, in a nursing home, boarding school, or any other kind of residential facility, and you experience any respiratory symptoms, no matter how mild, you must be tested.

Can I attend weddings and funerals?

For outdoor Weddings, 20 people are allowed. For Funerals, up to 50 are allowed all while following the four-meter rule. But if a wedding or funeral is held in a home, only 20 people in total will be allowed to attend (including the celebrant and couple/ officiant and staff). Under stage 3 rules, expected to be introduced in July, attendance limits will require four square meters per person.

Can I go for a drive?

Yes, you can go out for a drive.

Are dentists open?

Yes, dental services are now open.

Are The Pubs open?

Yes, Pubs are allowed to open. Alcohol will only be available to purchase with
meals. From 12 July, the number of diners allowed will increase to 50.

Are schools, TAFE colleges and universities back
in session?

Yes, as of 9 June, all students have returned to the classroom.

What about cinemas, entertainment venues and

Galleries, museums, national institutions, historic sites, amusement parks, zoos, and arcades are allowed to open up to 20 customers per separate space, with four square meters per person. Drive-in cinemas are also allowed to recommence food and drink operations. From 12 July, the number of people allowed in these venues will increase to 50 per separate space. Up to 50 customers will be allowed to watch a film per cinema in movie theatres. Customers not from the same household will have to sit at least 1.5 meters apart, and the four square meter rule will apply. Concert venues and theatres will be able to reopen to 50 viewers per separate space. From 20 July, electronic gaming at clubs, and casinos will restart, per social distancing requirements.

Can I move house?

You are allowed to move houses but keeping in mind the social distancing

What does the Australian government’s contact tracing app do?

Dubbed CovidSafe, the technology is based on digital contact tracing, modelled on a similar app used in Singapore. Its purpose is to suppress the issue of ‘community transmission’ – where the infection is spread between people in public.

How long will this last?

Victoria is currently in stage 2 of a three-stage process on easing social restrictions advised by the federal government, to be rolled out over the next two months. However there is no concrete timeline, and the state governments are not required to follow every recommendation. Certain protocols such as physical distancing may be in place for several more months to come. The World Health Organisation has warned that relaxing lockdown restrictions too quickly, could lead to a resurgence of the outbreak.


It is important to keep in mind that uncertainty can be is a big issue in a
relationship. Not knowing how long this corona pandemic will last for can
cause a lot of anxiety at the moment during COVID-19 isolation.

To find out more about the status of COVID-19 in Australia and how to protect yourself contact the Australian Government Department of Health

For more information and updates contact the health authorities in your current country